A CSA bounty is a beautiful thing.
Over the weekend I got an email from the Portland Area CSA Coalition (PACSAC), a local 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to to promoting Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) in the Portland area, about a job opening in their organization. The position they are hiring for is Program Director (part time) and it pays $14.75 – $16.75 per hour, plus paid time off; schedule is flexible within the 20 hours per week the job demands.
As someone who helped run a CSA for 10 years, I can tell you how rewarding it is to connect local citizens with local farmers. There’s a lot to teach and a lot to learn about how important it is to support local food systems. The person in this position with PACSAC could do a lot of good.
Here are some of the things involved with the job, which requires a year-round commitment, the ability to travel and work remotely, which means having consistent internet access and portable technology (e.g. laptop, cellphone).
- Plan and organize the annual Share Fair event, along with other tabling opportunities that may arise throughout the year
- Update and manage website and paid media sources as needed
- Update and manage social media sources daily
- Update and manage farmer communications (email, phone) and membership dues
- Create and distribute printed materials (i.e. brochures, flyers, etc.) for the annual Share Fair event
- Organize and market farm tours to expand outreach to the public to promote CSA farms
- Attend monthly board meetings to discuss updates and future planning
- Develop and work with board members on a fundraising plan, and/or grant writing opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
- Experience in event planning, media management, fundraising/grant writing is greatly preferred
- Attitude: positive, self-reliant, and passionate
- Ability to work remotely and meet deadlines
- Must be proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, Google Drive, and WordPress
- Must be professional and timely with emails
You can apply via email or by postal mail. If you want to apply via email, send your completed application to Taylor Kane (email@example.com); to send via postal mail, print out the application and mail it to Taylor Kane, 555 SE 99th Avenue, Ste. 100, Portland, OR 97216. Taylor is the person to reach out to if you have any questions, too. Note: they will do a background check, but they emphasize, “no one should feel discouraged from applying.”
The deadline to apply is Sunday, October 29. Good luck to all who apply!
Latest posts by Meg Cotner (see all)
- Yucatecan Taqueria La Mestiza Is Expanding - September 18, 2019
- Get Your Fill of Figs at The Third Annual Fig Fest! - September 16, 2019
- Four Things I Learned This Week (September 13) - September 13, 2019