The Portland Night Market is back!
Each week we will bring you a roundup of public food events in the Portland metro area. It’s not every single event that’s going on, but the ones in particular that catch our eye. Want to submit an event? Fill out this form. Listings curated by Meg Cotner.
Holiday Ale Festival
Until December 3, 2017; 11am-9:30pm (except Sunday, December 3 at 11am-5pm)
Pioneer Courthouse Square
50+ “potent winter ales” and food consume all of Pioneer Courthouse Square under a big tent. Tickets include a souvenir glass and 12 beer tickets for $35—cash only—at the door. 21+. More information.
Peking Duck Month
December 1-30, 2017; times vary
Departure Portland, 525 SW Morrison Street, Portland
From the Departure staff, this special month features:
- The Peking Duck is cured in 5 spice, blanched in honey and Chinese wine, hung to air dry for 5 days, honey glazed and roasted daily, and served with a house-made cherry sauce, candied kumquats, scallions, hoisin, and cucumbers. It is also served with mandarin pancakes, encouraging guests to make mini sandwiches out of the feast.
- The bits of meat and roasted skin left on the bones are removed and a savory duck fried rice is made with plenty of scallions and rendered duck fat.
- To ensure 100% usage of the bird, guests start the meal with a cup of clear duck broth made from the ducks’ roasted bones.
- For a final sweet note, a rich taste of creamy duck fat-coconut milk ice cream with marionberry sauce and buckwheat crumble closes the feast.
Call the restaurant at 503-802-5370 to reserve your delicious duck. Each meal is $106. More information.
Portland Night Market
Friday-Sunday, December 1-3, 2017; Friday and Saturday 4-11pm, Sunday 11am-4pm
100 SE Alder, Portland
For three nights Portland’s Industrial District is transformed into a street market for some of the city’s best makers and creators, featuring, among other things, excellent food and drink. FREE to enter. More information.
Saturday, December 2, 2017; 9-10am and 1-2pm
The Duniway Portland, 545 SW Taylor Street, Portland
The WoodWorker Holiday Market
Saturday, December 2, 2017; 11am-6pm
Baerlic Brewing, 2235 SE 11th Avenue, Portland
The market celebrates all things wood—furniture, housewares, syrups, aged cheeses, jewelry, pizza, coffee, beer and more, created by artisan makers in and around Portland. Family friendly, all ages welcome. FREE to enter. More information.
Saturday & Sunday, December 2-3, 2017; Saturday 10-5pm, Sunday 10-4pm
Portland Veterans Memorial Coliseum
“Experience the sights, sounds, tastes, and traditions of a Nordic Christmas during the holiday season! An event reminiscent of Christmas markets in Copenhagen, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, and Stockholm, there are vendors, food, entertainment, games, and more.” There will be food, drink, dancing, and music, as well as Oregon’s Lucia (Queen of Light) and Joulupukki, the Finnish Santa Claus. Tickets are Adults $8, Seniors & Students $7, Families $17. More information.
Community Supported Kitchen Fundraiser
Monday, December 4, 2017; 4:30-9:30pm
Red Sauce Pizza, 4935 NE 42nd Avenue, Portland
Red Sauce is donating 20% of sales this evening to The Side Yard Farm’s ‘Community Supported Kitchen’ (CSK) project. This space will be a resource for small-scale and independent food producers. Our 42nd Avenue will also match what is raised that evening. More information.
Astral Pops Up at Vivienne
Monday, December 4, 2017; 5-10pm
Vivienne Kitchen & Pantry, 4128 NE Sandy Avenue, Portland
“This Monday 12.4.17 we will be popping up Vivienne Kitchen & Pantry! 5pm-10pm. No tickets, no reservations! See you there.” More information.
Puerto Rico takes over Foxy Coffee
Wednesday, December 6, 2017; 11am-5pm
Foxy Coffee Co., 3640 SE Belmont Street, Portland
5-8 pound of Puerto Rican coffee beans are the foundation of this event, and the coffee will be served up by Portland for Puerto Rico. 180 Xurros, dominoes, and traditional music are also planned as Foxy’s is turned into a Puerto Rican Cafe. More information.
Stacked Italian Supper
Thursday December 7, 2017; 7pm
Stacked Sandwich Shop, 1643 SE 3rd Avenue, Portland
This special Italian feast is an opportunity for Chef Gabe Pascuzzi to go back to his roots and throw an Italian meal inspired his Calabrian heritage, with the kind of food he grew up with. Six courses from Crudo to Dessert are included. Tickets are $75, call 971-279-2731 to make a reservation. More information.
Latest posts by Meg Cotner (see all)
- It’s Official: Gado Gado Is Coming to the Hollywood District - January 17, 2019
- Looking Forward to Fried Egg I’m In Love’s New Brick & Mortar Grand Opening Party - January 16, 2019
- The Closing of a Neighborhood Restaurant: Goodbye, My Canh - January 14, 2019