On October 5 & 6, 2019, Roux arrives, a new event series focusing on women and their work in the food and beverage industry. The weekend will be filled with panels, workshops and collaborative meals right here in Portland. And tickets are available now! Roux events are inclusive and open to all.
Over two dozen women from all over the country are participating throughout the weekend, including:
- Salimatu Amabebe, Black Feast, Portland, OR
- Shelley Armistead, Gjelina Group, Venice, CA
- Sarah-Jayne Boyd, AKQA, Portland, OR
- Briaan Barron, Seattle Chocolate Company, Seattle, WA
- Laura Brennan, Inconnu Wine, Berkeley, CA
- Michelle Cairo, Olympia Provisions, Portland, OR
- Sue Chan, Care of Chan, New York, NY
- Kia Damon, New York, NY
- Jena Derman, New York, NY
- Maja Dlugolecki, Artist, Los Angeles, CA
- Stacey Givens, The Side Yard Farm, Portland, OR
- Mariko Grady, San Francisco, CA
- Caitlin Hata, The Manufactory, Los Angeles, CA
- The Hazel Hall, Portland, OR
- Holly Hukill, Serra, Portland, OR
- Aishwarya Iyer, Brightland Olive Oil, Los Angeles, CA
- Sana Javeru Kadri, Diaspora Co., Oakland, CA
- Helen Jo, Portland, OR
- Maya Lovelace, Yonder and Mae, Portland, OR
- Michelle Magat, La Cocina, Portland OR
- Margaret & Beau, Ceramicists, Portland, OR
- Mallory Pilcher, Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Portland, OR
- Amanda Saab, Amanda’s Plate, Detroit MI
- Deana Saukam, Faim Fatale, Austin, TX
- Ashleigh Shanti, Benne on Eagle, Asheville, NC
- Amanda Shapiro, Healthyish, New York, NY
- Chelsea Williams, Los Angeles, CA
Panel discussions, held at Bar West (1221 NW 21st Avenue), include: Future of Food Practices; The Evolution of Branding; Powerhouses; and Healing Through Food & Drink, featuring a conversation with Amanda Shapiro (Bon Appétit’s Healthyish Editor) and there will also be a tea and food experience by pop-up The Hazel Hall. Panel tickets are limited and priced ranging from $25 to $60 per person.
Workshops, hosted at include: Basics of World Cuisines; and Veggie Fermentation, both hosted at Jacobsen Sea Salt (602 SE Salmon Street). Ceramic + Painting Tableware will be held at Bar West, led by Margaret & Beau and Los Angeles artist Maja Dlugolecki. Workshop tickets range from $35 to $75 per person.
On Saturday, October 5, the festival will host its inaugural Saturday Roux Dinner, a collaborative meal hosted at Jacobsen Sea Salt. The multi-course dinner, paired with craft cocktails, natural wines and zero-proof drinks, features chefs Kia Damon, Salimatu Amabebe, Jena Derman and Helen Jo. Tickets are $95 per person.
A Sunday Brunch on October 6 will be hosted at Yonder (4636 NE 42nd Avenue) with chefs Maya Lovelace and Ashleigh Shanti. Both chefs cook and are devotees of Southern Appalachian cuisine, with each bringing a different cultural background to the table. Brunch tickets are $50 per person.
Throughout the weekend, the Roux Pop-Up Shop at The Ace Hotel’s Cleaners (1022 SW Harvey Milk Street) will be running concurrently with the rest of Roux’s events. Get to know products made by female food purveyors and artists, with 100% of proceeds donated to Roux’s nonprofit partner La Cocina, an organization that mentors and supports low-income food entrepreneurs as they formalize and grow their businesses. It is free to attend the pop-up shop.
Created by Portland-based House of Commons, Roux is spearheaded by Delia Tethong, Heather Wallberg and Jenna Winkler, producers of the beloved Portland Bazaar and Sundaze Collective. Further support for Roux comes from The Ace Hotel, Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Richer Poorer, Steven Smith Teamaker, Polar Seltzer Water, Serra, Olympia Provisions, Freeland Spirits, Bar West, Jacobsen Salt Co., bohana, KYLA, Miyoko’s Creamery, Lillet and Olipop.
It really sounds like a fantastic weekend of food, learning, community, and an overall good time. Hope you can make it!
Latest posts by Meg Cotner (see all)
- Four Things I Learned This Week (October 18) - October 18, 2019
- A Look Back at the 10th Annual Portland Fermentation Festival - October 16, 2019
- Love for WokShop Kitchen’s Salad Rolls - October 14, 2019