Portland supports Puerto Rico hurricane relief in a number of events this week.
Each week we will bring you a roundup of public food events in the Portland metro area. It’s not every single event that’s going on, but the ones in particular that catch our eye. Want to submit an event? Fill out this form. Listings curated by Meg Cotner.
PDX 4 Puerto Rico Citywide Fundraiser
Until Sunday, December 10, 2017
Stop by select Portland bars and restaurants to enjoy menu specials benefitting Puerto Rico. Participants: Andina, Ataula, Aviary, Rum Club, Dig a Pony, Fireside, Kachka, Kask, La Moule, Lardo, Paadee, Les Caves, Little Bird Bistro, Olympia Oyster Bar, Pizza Jerk Super Bite, Taqueria Nueve, Upper Left Roasters, Wiz Bang Bar (list Is still growing). More information.
Peking Duck Month
December 1-30, 2017; times vary
Departure Portland, 525 SW Morrison Street, Portland
From the Departure staff, this special month features:
- The Peking Duck is cured in 5 spice, blanched in honey and Chinese wine, hung to air dry for 5 days, honey glazed and roasted daily, and served with a house-made cherry sauce, candied kumquats, scallions, hoisin, and cucumbers. It is also served with mandarin pancakes, encouraging guests to make mini sandwiches out of the feast.
- The bits of meat and roasted skin left on the bones are removed and a savory duck fried rice is made with plenty of scallions and rendered duck fat.
- To ensure 100% usage of the bird, guests start the meal with a cup of clear duck broth made from the ducks’ roasted bones.
- For a final sweet note, a rich taste of creamy duck fat-coconut milk ice cream with marionberry sauce and buckwheat crumble closes the feast.
Call the restaurant at 503-802-5370 to reserve your delicious duck. Each meal is $106. More information.
PDX Feeds Puerto Rico: Party at The Nightwood
Thursday, December 7, 2017; 6-10pm
The Nightwood, 2218 NE Broadway, Portland
DonQ Puerto Rican rum the #PDX4PR team present two chefs and two baristas from Puerto Rico serving coffee drinks and traditional food in support of PR hurricane relief. The meal includes one main food dish, three bites and a coffee beverage, and proceeds will go directly to Cosa Nuestra. Activities include dancing, games, live music Neftali Rivera & Grupo Borikuas, and a short panel will speak about their experience and outreach for PR, moderated by Cristina Báez from Ataula. Tickets $30 advance (buy here), $35 at the door; cash bar available. More information.
Stacked Italian Supper
Thursday December 7, 2017; 7pm
Stacked Sandwich Shop, 1643 SE 3rd Avenue, Portland
This special Italian feast is an opportunity for Chef Gabe Pascuzzi to go back to his roots and throw an Italian meal inspired his Calabrian heritage, with the kind of food he grew up with. Six courses from Crudo to Dessert are included. Tickets are $75, call 971-279-2731 to make a reservation. More information.
Rue for Puerto Rico: #pdx4pr Pop-up Dinner
Friday, December 8, 2017; 5-11pm
Rue, 1005 SE Ankeny Street, Portland
Puerto Rican style food and drink from three local chefs: Chef Jason Roberts of Rue, José Chesa of Ataula in Portland, and Mario Pagan of ARETE in Puerto Rico. Tickets are $65 for a four-course pre fixed special Puerto Rican menu during regular dinner service. Reservations not needed. The Majority of the proceeds will go directly to Cosa Nuestra Relief Fund; the remaining funds will will be sent to aid in feeding and caring for displaced pets on the island (with special help from the pixie project). More information.
High-Proof Holiday Happy Hour with DJ Drew Groove
Friday, December 8, 2017; 6-9pm
The Liquor Store, 3341 SE Belmont Street, Portland
Join Karen Locke, Portland author of “High-Proof PDX – A Spirited Guide to Portland Craft Distilling Scene,” for a happy hour in Southeast Portland—there will be a special cocktail made with local spirits for the occasion, as well as holiday hors d’oeuvres. You can also pick up a copy of the book and have it signed. Plus, happy hour Sounds by DJ Drew Groove! More information.
Humbug Lager Fest
Saturday and Sunday, December 9-10, 2017; Saturday 2-9pm, Sunday noon-7pm
Occidental Brewing Company, 6635 N Baltimore Avenue, Portland
If you like lagers, this is the event for you—lager beer from Occidental and other local breweries will be featured, from light to dark, light to strong styles. Urban German will provide traditional German food. The space—indoors in their tap room and in adjoining spaces—will be all festived-out for the holiday season. Tickets are $10 and that gets you a logo taster glass along with six tokens for samples (4oz each); four tokens are $5 (pints also require four tokens). Donate a can of a non-perishable food item and you will receive one extra token with your initial purchase of glass and tokens. 21+ only. More information.
EastBurn Ciderfest 2017
Saturday, December 9, 2017; 4-10pm
EastBurn Public House, 1800 E Burnside Street, Portland
This annual Ciderfest will feature some of the region’s best ciders, and serve as a benefit Toys for Tots. Please bring an unwrapped toy to donate—for every toy donated you get 5 free tickets to Ciderfest. 15 cideries will be represented. Tickets are $10 and includes an official Ciderfest glass and 5 tasting tickets. Live music by Portland band Ezra Bellat at 8pm. More information.
Ataula Rican Brunch
Sunday, December 10, 2017; 11am-4pm
Ataula, 1818 NW 23rd Place, Portland
“Ataula’s brunch was once one of the most popular in Portland and it’s back for one day, this time with a Puerto Rican twist! No reservations, just walk right in! We’re serving all this delicious pernil and coffee until it’s gone!” More information.
A Bubbly Spectacular
Sunday, December 10, 2017; 4-7pm
Pix Pâtisserie, 2225 E Burnside Street, Portland
This is a great opportunity to taste all sorts of bubbly wines—Champagnes, Proseccos, Crémants, Sekts, Cap Classiques and local favorites. Aside from that there’s a “dress to impress” competition, a chance to win a Champagne saber (and learn how to saber), oyster raw bar, and free popcorn. Premier Cru Pass $35 Includes tastes of 40 wines, Grand Cru Pass for $45 Includes access to all 60 wines. Call Pix at 971-271-7166 to reserve your ticket. More information.
Nasi Tumpeng: Indonesian Dinner
Monday, December 11, 2017; 6-8pm
Feastly, 912 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland
Chef Rita of Spice Kitchen will prepare a flavorful Indonesian dinner featuring nasi tumpeng, a cone-shaped rice mountain with vegetable and meat side dishes. Tickets are $55 (buy here). More information.
Ex Novo Winter Beer Dinner
Wednesday, December 13, 2017; 6-9pm
Ex Novo Brewing Co, 2326 North Flint Avenue, Portland
This 4-course dinner is paired with “rare and delicious” Ex Novo beers:
- First – caramelized persimmon, watercress, blood orange supreme, toasted pecan vinaigrette. Beer: Ex Ex (Barrel Aged Farmhouse with Buddha’s Hand Zest and Mosaic Hops)
- Second – sticky pomegranate pork belly, pistachio brittle, pickled cranberry relish, micro celery. Beer: Wicked Hazy New England IPA
- Third – braised beef cheek, rutabaga gorgonzola gratin, horseradish gremolata, micro fennel. Beer: Passionfruit Sour IPA
- Dessert – toffee pudding, case study coffee caramel, hazelnut whipped cream. Beer: 2017 Nevermore (Black Barleywine with Smoked Figs and Cocoa Nibs)
Sweater Weather 2017
Thursday, December 14, 2017; 6-10pm
Townshend’s Tea Company, 2223 NE Alberta Street, Portland
Townshend is turning their tea house into a cocktail bar, with four bartenders serving up warm cocktails, the profits from which will go to a nonprofit they believe in:
- Kate Bolton, Mint & Mirth—supporting ECO (Ecology in Classroom and Outdoors
- Jessica Braaschley, The Bible Club—supporting The Q Center
- Freedom Ciavarello, Circa 33—supporting EPHC (El Programa Hispano Católico)
- Camille Cavan, Quaintrelle—supporting Animal Aid
“Sweaters are optional (we will notice though).” 21+ only. More information.
Latest posts by Meg Cotner (see all)
- Farewell Heim, Hello Bee’s Cakes and Cafe - May 7, 2021
- Support Rocky Butte Farmers Market at Arrowood on May 17 - May 6, 2021
- Rosebridge Coffee Opens Inside Fairley’s Pharmacy - April 27, 2021