Naengmyeon, or Naengmyun, a chilled Korean noodle soup, is worth seeking out.
I first tasted it when I was doing research for the Flushing section of my book, Food Lovers’ Guide to Queens. On a warm and rainy afternoon I took the LIRR out to the Murray Hill stop and met up with my friend Sang Joon and we headed to Kum Sung Chik Naengmyun specifically for their naengmyun. When we ordered, they gave us the option of arrowroot noodles along with buckwheat and Sang Joon recommended I go with the chewy arrowroot (it’s in the restaurant’s name, “chik”). I’m glad he did.
I remember wondering how tasty cold beef noodle soup could be and I was delighted with how good it was; kind of a chilly comfort food. I had the mul-naengmyun style, which was light, sweet and sour. I remember really liking the bits of icy, slushy broth still in the soup, the cool beefy flavor, and the sweet pear topping. It was one of the more memorable meals during my book research.
So I’m really glad to see that The Oregonian put together a short roundup of places where you can find naengmyun in the area. Here’s their list:
- Gangnam Korean BBQ, 2473 NW 185th Avenue, Hillsboro, 503-690-9551
- JCD Korean Restaurant, 3492 SW Cedar Hills Blvd, Beaverton, 503-644-7378 (about a half mile north of the Beaverton Central MAX station)
- Nak Won, 4600 SW Watson Avenue, Beaverton, 503-646-9382 (about a half mile south of the Beaverton Central MAX station)
- Spring restaurant, 3975 SW 114th Avenue, Beaverton, 503-641-3670 (about a half mile east of the Beaverton Transit Center)
Definitely read the article for a brief primer on naengmyeon and a little bit about the different local spots where you can find it. If there’s any time to eat it, it’s now during this crazy heatwave right now. And here’s how to make it! I’ll have to give it a try next summer when H Mart arrives in Portland.
Stay cool this summer with Korea’s favorite chilled noodle soup [The Oregonian]
Latest posts by Meg Cotner (see all)
- Small Bites – Norse Hall, Poke Qube, Birrieria PDX, and More - May 18, 2021
- Farewell Heim, Hello Bee’s Cakes and Cafe - May 7, 2021
- Support Rocky Butte Farmers Market at Arrowood on May 17 - May 6, 2021